GECA releases new adhesives standard
Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) is pleased to announce the release of its newest standard for Adhesives, Fillers and Sealants, which now covers a wider variety of products and sets a new environmental benchmark for the industry.
The new standard, which replaces GECA’s previous Adhesives standard, now includes recognition for joint sealants and fillers, plus a stronger focus on industrial and commercial adhesives. GECA chose to expand the scope of the standard in response to increased demand from industry professionals for greater certification options.
Products can be certified under the Adhesives, Fillers and Sealants standard to demonstrate that they meet GECA’s strict criteria for lower environmental impact, human health and safety, and ethical working conditions for workers.
Key criteria in the updated standard include:
- Products must not contain substances which have been classified as known carcinogens, toxins, mutagens, or toxic to reproduction.
- Heavy metals, such as lead, cadmium, chromium, arsenic and others, must not be intentionally added to the product.
- Products which may lead to the release of respirable powders/dust (e.g. products such as fillers which may be sanded) must not contain any added Crystalline Silica (Quartz) or Mica. If used, effective measures must be in place to control exposure of workers.
- The final product must only contain limited amounts of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Formaldehyde, or formaldehyde-shedding substances, must not be intentionally added to a product.
- Emissions to air and water during the manufacturing process must be effectively managed and documented. There must also be waste minimisation and energy management procedures in place.
- Limits on substances toxic to aquatic life.
This new standard has been submitted to the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA). Once approved, products certified under it can contribute to achieving points under the relevant GBCA’s Green Star tools.